Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Fiesta Stuffed Peppers

So for my first recipe that we tried, I had scanned Pinterest for a while looking for food that's new that sounded good and that didn't look like it would take very long to make either. This normally isn't hard at all on Pinterest considering all of the yummy stuff that pops up, but right now with going back and forth between feeling like a normal human being and feeling like all I do all day is throw up, it was a little more challenging than what I thought. Then I saw a pin where a woman had made stuffed peppers. It wasn't because they sounded good that I stopped, oddly enough, but it was how pretty the peppers are. I mean, who doesn't want their food to look appetizing? So after a little more hunting on various stuffed pepper recipes, I combined about 3 different ones and added a little twist of my own.

First things first, you want to choose your pretty peppers. I thought about going with making stoplight peppers (green, yellow and red) but oddly enough, I'm not a huge fan of the green ones, so I settled on red and yellow and they looked beautiful in the store. For this recipe, you want to choose 4 medium to large peppers. If you do a small medium, you could probably get away with 5.


Next you want to get a large pot of water boiling to soften you peppers and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. While the water is boiling, you want to cut the caps off of you peppers. Cut down from the stem area about 1/2 inch leaving the top intact.


Then you want to remove the middle section with all of the seeds. Do this with your hands by just grabbing the total clump. Most of the time it's easy because it's still intact.




After all of the caps are cut off your peppers and they are clean, slowly drop the peppers into boiling water, I would suggest using tongs since they do tend to splash and after all the water is BOILING. Boil for 8 to 12 minutes or until softened to your liking. Be careful when you remove them so they don't fall apart. Place in an oven proof baking dish big enough for all of your peppers.


Next you want to start on your filling. Take 1lb. of lean ground beef, 1 tsp. ground chipotle powder, 2 Tablespoons garlic powder, 1 tsp. cumin and 2 Tablespoons onion powder and brown in large skillet.



After meat is browned turn heat down to medium-low and add 1 cup of frozen corn and 4 oz. of cream cheese. Stir into beef mixture until cheese is completely melted and well combined
into mixture. Then add 1/4 cup diced fresh cilantro and 1 1/2 cups of cooked rice and stir into mixture.



I used a package of Mahatma saffron rice. I LOVE this stuff. It's easy and has great flavor and one made package is just the right amount for this recipe.


Next stir in 1 cup of salsa of your choice. I used Hot Pace because my husband likes things a little spicier and this way you can control what your spice level is. If you didn't use a seasoned rice mix like I did, you might want to add 1 1/2 cups of salsa.


After this is stirred together, you want to stuff you peppers. As you stuff them, try to compact the mixture down into the bottom as you go that way they are good and full.


I put my caps back on my peppers because I notice it keeps the inside mixture nice and moist but it is completely up to you. You want to bake them for 15 to 20 minutes or until completely heated through and your peppers are completely soft. Then enjoy with you sides of choice. I put sour cream on mine and some guacamole on the side for some chips. I've also served it with black beans too. What side sounds good to you to serve with your Fiesta peppers?


I think I'm going to enjoy my fiesta pepper and then maybe take a little evening siesta. ; )

TTFA (Ta Ta For Now)







No comments:

Post a Comment